[wiki-research] Wikis' sweet spot

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Wed Aug 9 18:17:27 CEST 2006

I'm curious to hear what you think is the sweet spot for wikis.

Wikis work in a lot of traditional application domains
(collaboration, portals, knowledge management, etc.), but is there a
domain that's unique to wikis? For existing domains we can only say
wikis are better because of ease-of-use, the-wiki-spirit,
some-other-explanation.

A main take at this question for me is that wikis are the tool of
choice for process innovation. While there are brainstorming tools,
thinking about process innovation and actually carrying out the
processes are usually things kept separate. Wikis let you integrate
them, being innovative as you go along.

Going back to our early discussion on how to motivate funding for
wiki research, I've found this take at things quite powerful and
convincing to those to who I've presented so far.

Dirk

Dirk Riehle, ph: +49 172 184 8755, web: http://www.riehle.org
Interested in wiki research? Please see http://www.wikisym.org !