[wiki-research] Mailing lists

Sebastien Paquet sebpaquet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 17:31:05 CEST 2006

Interesting idea. I think the rafts of self-intros we see when mailing
lists are created are an artifact of the process of inviting many
people at the same time. On wikis and blogs people tend to come in one
at a time, so it's difficult to get an avalanche. On some wikis you
are prominently invited to create a personal page, which works
reasonably well. But I think there's nothing like seeing a couple
self-intros pass by while everyone is new to get a chain reaction.

But I realize I haven't introduced myself! I'm Sebastien Paquet (but
you can call me Seb). I started doing research on wikis and blogs
around 2001, back when Wikipedia had all-CamelCase titles.

I currently work out of Montreal for wiki-maker Socialtext,
http://socialtext.com, helping our enterprise customers embrace the
wiki way. Prior to that, I worked for the National Research Council of
Canada. My Ph.D. thesis dealt with weblogs and wikis as means of
communicating across disciplines. (See http://sebthesis.notlong.com).
I had a rather active research blog for a while
(http://seb.notlong.com), but it has gone mostly dormant as of late.

Should there be a wiki on wiki research? Here are the most closely
related wikis I know of:

- I used to frequent the Weblog Kitchen
(http://www.weblogkitchen.com/), which "explores current research in
weblogs, wikis, and other hypertext systems", but it is a ghost town
now, and the platform it runs on doesn't have revision history, which
is kinda scary.

- MeatBall Wiki (http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl) is "a community
of active practitioners striving to teach each other how to organize
people using online tools."

- And the Wiki Symposium has a wiki for each edition,
http://ws2005.wikisym.org and http://ws2006.wikisym.org/

Seb