[wiki-research] Wiki Engines as CMS

rickla rickla.rick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:26:31 CEST 2006

Drupal's a very interesting and very capable package that's a bit weird to
people who like wikis. (That's overstated but not entirely untrue, I think.)
When I used it a year or two ago, it was for a small-scale research project
for 3 people. We each had our own blog to post our more or less unstructured
thoughts, and used the Book module to actually write a paper. At the time,
the tagging system was very advanced. And for a paper, the
linear-hierarchical model worked well. It was very nice to have blog posts
and other content all mixed up on the entry page.

But, assuming I wasn't just misunderstanding what was happening, it seemed
to be crying out for something a bit more wiki-like as well. And the
arbitrary limits on number of pages (start at -15 and end at +15, as I
recall) seemed so strange to us. It isn't strange to me that a lot of Drupal
people wouldn't be too interested in wikis. What I imagine they would be
thinking is "Why would we give up blogs, articles, and properly structured
books, for a loose collection of pages that our readers wouldn't be able to
navigate?"

On to DokuWiki, is anyone familar with both it and PmWiki able to comment on
which would work better as a CMS?

Thanks,
Rick