[wiki-standards] Comments on Dirk's "simplest process..."

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Thu Dec 29 16:34:45 CET 2005

Hi Filippo, and welcome!

I think at this point of time actual work should take precedence over process.

I'd be willing to support to put up any standards proposal right away
for immediate discussion and vote, if someone provided a spec and
wanted to push it through. Without prior requirements gathering, call
for participation, etc.

Please note that I'm not advising such a procedure: A person to do
that would be in for something as either people will come up with all
kinds of objections (to avoid those we should have had the process in
the first place) or people won't comment and probably then flat out
ignore the proposed standard.

My reasoning is that it is better to have a spec 1.0 that people try
to put into code, and then a subsequent spec 2.0 that fixes all the
problems than to have no spec at all.

Now, you can actually lead the way. If you have a topic that is
important to you, why don't you propose to work on that? You can
implement the standards work in a way you want, and we are most
certainly going to comment on that in good spirit, thereby refining
the process until we agree on it.

Since not much has happened since we had the last energy boost at
WikiSym 2005, I'd support you in picking a topic you like. If someone
else is also interested, they are likely to step up then. This
mailing list has been growing nicely.

Dirk

Dr. Dirk Riehle | Bayave Software GmbH | http://www.bayave.de
Contact: dirk at riehle.org | +49 172 184 8755 | http://www.riehle.org