[wiki-standards] Re: proposed wiki markup standard - font changes & lists

Alex Schroeder alex at emacswiki.org
Thu Jul 13 14:20:37 CEST 2006

Chuck Smith schrieb:
> http://www.i3g.hs-heilbronn.de/attach/WikiMarkupStandard/wikistandard1.pdf

Regarding the proposal in this PDF document:

I also prefer double square brackets instead of single square brackets
because (rarely) single square brackets are used in text, usually for
manual footnotes, edit comments, etc.

Some wikis use !WikiWord to prevent automatic linking of this term. This
may conflict with your use of level 3 heading. Will you accept that as a
tradeoff?

Why ''ital'' instead of //ital//?

You seem to require a space after the punctiation for list items, which
I agree with. Why don't you require a space after punctuation for
definitions and indentation? I found that occasionally the :indent
pattern conflicted with smileys at the beginning of a line. I'm sure
this can be fixed without requiring a space, but at the time I started
to require a space because it seemed consistent enough. Thus:

: indent

and

; term: definition

Just a note: I use __underline__ as well, but I realized while
implementing it, that the later versions of HTML deprecate <u>. Maybe an
appropriate comment should be part of the document. I'm using a
strong-element with CSS to indicate non-bold and underline.

I propose the following rules for removal, because they will be rarely
used be newbies:

Images -- Oddmuse places images on pages instead of using attachments.
This has the side effect that uploaded images are stored together with
their MIME type and the correct extension is not necessary. Example:

http://www.oddmuse.org/cgi-bin/oddmuse/Blue_Headings_Screenshot

To inline the image, I would use [[image:Blue Headings Screenshot]].

Strike -- doesn't have potential conflicts with horizontal lines and
traditional ASCII rendering of the m-dash---like this--- and the n-dash
-- like this? Plus: Is this used often enough?

Monospace: Is this used often enough? I'm using {{double braces}} for
footnotes in one of my extensions, because braces seemed to be "not
taken". Actually, now that I look at
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiMarkupStandard again, I see that
there are some unrelated rules for braces. I'm using ##double hashes##
myself for monospaced text, and %%double percents%% for unprocessed text
-- two examples I picked from that list. Why invent something new?

Text Indent, Definition, Superscript, Subscript -- Are these used often
enough? I'm not against supporting them, but it seems a wasted effort.

Anyway, that's it for now. :)

Alex.