From WikiSym 2008
- The wiki-gardening is very interesting and valuable if done correctly.
- There is a threat, that helping people can make them stay away from the wiki.
- We collected goals, tasks and profiles for wiki gardeners.
The basic concept is described here:
http://www.wikipatterns.com/display/wikipatterns/WikiGnome, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiGnome, http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/WikiGnome
- Broken window - syndrom: If people see, that the wiki is not presentable it loses credibility.
- Helping with fulfilling tasks that take a very long time without a big thinking challenge ("grunt work").
- Keeping up a consistent appearance of the wiki content to prevent from being distracted to the content.
- Helping others to better contribute and focus on the content: increase the activity
- The wiki gardener is really involved in the process and the company.
- Preparing conditions in organization for adoption and succesful use of wiki (similar to real gardener: preparing soil :-) )
- Send out emails to people who do not really get it.
- Cosmetic editing to keep the wiki from being overrun with "weeds" (typos, misspellings, poorly structured sentences and paragraphs)
- Add or fix links to make sure relevant content is navigable within the wiki
- Improve the flow and clarity of content improve the readability of the page
- Setting an example for other users of how and when to use the wiki
- The gardener should not necessarily global.
- The gardener can create lists of tasks for the wiki.
- The gardener can identify stale content.
- Part-time jobs
- Secretary people / receptionist
- The profile should be rather a more junior person.
- The wiki gardener should not prevent others from wiki-usage.
- Done wrong the gardener can annoy other wiki users easily.
- The gardener should not put his nose in spaces, he is not responsible for or people do not want them for.
Ideas from the practitioners
- At Chevron there is a dedicated Gardener. She will look at the wiki every day. It is a part-time person. She is responsible for the whole wiki.
- They have a Wiki-Gardening party. They bring in food. They make it fun to be there. Then they get a link list. Everybody will have a link list and go through the pages.